Friday, August 4, 2017

     As a very early riser, I often have trouble figuring out what to do at night. I know, some of you would say, “What? If I only had another five hours a day to do what I wanted. .. “ I’m sorry, but when you have been retired for over 10 years, much of what you always wanted to do, you’ve done. If only there was something meaningful for me on television, I would sit there night after night like the majority of Americans and just chill. For me, there is nothing. We don’t turn on our TV until after 8:00 at night, and at least nine months of the year, there
is absolutely nothing that interests me.

     The news, which I used to watch often, is too depressing. The sitcoms are just silly, and reality TV goes on in the White House, so I don’t have to watch it on TV. We go to the movies often, so most of what’s On Demand, we’ve seen, and the rest is junk. I do enjoy certain programs in the fall, but even those are losing their appeal. I’m over my past all-time favorites, Law and Order, CSI, Criminal Minds, Hawaii 50, and we never watch TV during dinner. So this leaves me with: what will I do to entertain myself tonight. (I get up between 4:30 and 6:00 most mornings). 

    I love to read, but I read during the day, so by night, if I try to read, I fall asleep. Some work out at night. I haven’t tried that, but I might. I sure am not going to clean or start a project after 8:00 p.m., and I have already done everything on my “To Do” list by 1:00 p.m. Oh, my. Poor me. 

     This begs the question:  What do other people do?

     The average American watches 5.11 hours a TV per day—-67% during dinner. 49% say they watch too much. Most Americans watch TV or spend time on their devices at least 10.5 hours per day. Sounds to me like much of this is done at night. I’m about to adopt a couple of sports teams. This way, I will always have something to watch. I enjoy watching sports occasionally, but I can’t imagine a steady diet of it. These statistics are mind-boggling. The average person will have spent nine years of his life watching TV or a device. Oh, my.

      The obvious answer is take some interest in other things. Ok, you try that, and let me know how that works for you. If you’re an athlete, try watching QVC. If you’re a musician, try watching sports. If you’re an intellect, try watching a sitcom. If you love to go to good restaurants with your spouse, try watching the Bachelor. If you love politics, try watching cartoons. Hmm. Cartoons. That might just work.